Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Speciality Bobbin Threads & Recycled Blue Jean Doll Dress

   When I shop yard sales and second hand stores, I do look for threads that you normally think you wouldn't use on a sewing machine.  If they are too thick to be used in the needle, I think about the possibilities of using it in the bobbin.


******************
Tuesday Tutorial Teaser
******************

            Sometimes I've bought these large spools of threads that I envision were departed from a sewing factory somewhere. We lost many sewing factories in Kentucky to Mexico during the Clinton years and many gave away the fabrics and threads at that time. These spools are usually priced fifty cents to $1 !

 
You may need to check your machine's directions 
for changing settings in your bobbin.
I didn't need to change settings. 
 This thick thread worked fine.
 
 You have to pay attention to which side you sew to make sure your "specialty thread" shows up where you intend it to show.



I cut my threads long and braided the ends.
Then, I looped the braided threads & zig zagged the ends down.
The threads became a button loop.
I left the shabby neck edge, but I did cut the thread ends after I zig zagged them down.

This doll dress was made from a pair of jeans.
The skirt came from the leg bottom.
Notice my practice sample.  
I decided to stay simple.
The thread itself was decorative enough.
I found these shots when I was going through my files for a Monday Memory.
This doll dress was actually made in 2011 in my old sewing room
with my last machine before it locked up on me.
 This was before I moved to my present home.
That was the day when patterns went on sale for 99cents
and I wondered how they could do that to a 14$ pattern.
I think it's called competition which is gone now?

*********************
This is a tutorial teaser because deep details are not shown or written.
Just enough to inspire.... I hope.
******************
 ******************
****************************************

Thanks to the FREE program

 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo & other alterations to picture


8 comments:

  1. I never thought of using the bobbin for special threads. Thanks a lot for the tip!!!
    Pinned
    P.S.: that's a lovely dress. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a large spool. I hate that the factories went to Mexico :( Such a cute little dress, love that it's denim :) Thank you Joy for linking up at the #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty. I shared this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a creative idea. The thicker red thread looks stunning on that dress. Great recycling...with gorgeous results. #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip to use the bobbin for special threads. Thank you Joy for linking up with us at #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty. See you at the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who would have thought you could make a doll dress from an old pair of jeans? Absolutely adorable! Thanks for linking up at #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty.

    ~Christie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dress is so cute!!
    Thank you for sharing at ‪#BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty‬.‬

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute little dress. I don't sew but I wish I did. Maybe someday. This is very creative. Thank you for sharing at #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so talented! The dress turned out really cute. Thank you for linking up at #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty. I’m sharing your link on social media.
    Carol (“Mimi”) from Home with Mimi

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.