Monday, February 17, 2014

Sewing Organization TiP ~ Storing Bobbins

Last year when I bought over 100 spools of thread for my embroidering hobby, I bought a bag of 100 bobbins. How in the world did I sew all my life with only about a dozen bobbins?  I somehow managed to nearly empty them with a project, over even wound a color over another.  Now, because I've got a 100 bobbins to use, I don't worry about using up the thread.  
    However, when you've got so many hues of a color, you have to have a way to organize them.  One could buy some kind of device, or I've seen cutting pieces of plastic tubing, but my spools are different sizes.  
     This is the idea I use, and it works really well for me.  I simply pin the bobbin to the spool.

  




It doesn't matter if its one of the often used spools that sits on the nearby shelf,








 or a spool on the spool rack
 or a spool in the spool drawer, it works!
 I also use the pin for docking the end of the threads on the spool and the bobbin to keep them from going astray.
It's a system that has worked really well for me.
 How do you store and organize your bobbins?
Note: In regard to the comments about pins damaging thread, I haven't  had a problem.  On rare occasion I have a thread to fray which I think is just life no matter the quality of thread.  I think sometimes in extra long, speed stitch the heat friction from the machine's tension and needle can simple make it happen.  Maybe I have a needle with a nick.  Many things could be the cause.   Look at the close up shot above and notice how the pin goes around the thread.  Do you worry about threads breaking in your fabric? 
I've NEVER had thread to come off the spool broken.  

**********************************
Shared this idea on Sewlicious Home Decor where you can find several more craft room organizing ideas. 
Thanks to the FREE programs:
possibly used for this post
GIMP for cropping & other digital effects
 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo
PicMonkey creating collages used on this page

22 comments:

  1. Genius! Mine just sit all together in the top of my sewing box. I do stand them up on their sides so I can see their colours easily but then they have a nasty habit of rolling around! I don't have quite such an extensive collection as you but I'm definitely going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really great idea. Right now I don't have very many bobbins because I haven't had my new machine that long. It came with a bobbin holder but it only holds 4 bobbins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever idea. I have 3 different bobbins/machines and can never keep track of what type thread is on which bobbin. If I color code the bobbins this might actually work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever way to organize, that way if you don't have one there, you will know to start one and eliminate having duplicates because you could not find the 1st three you made right? LOL Great idea, the only bobbins I ever used were attached to a fishing pole when I was 10. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's absolutely brilliant! So simple, nothing to buy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I have lots of bobbins already filled with my basic stitching color and then other bobbins to match thread in special drawer. Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is neat. Does the pin damage the thread on the spool at all, like making it break easier? I have used pipe cleaner to keep the bobbin with the spool, but it only works in a drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good idea for keeping the correct threads together. I just line up the bobbins in a separate try, but if the colors are close it's hard to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great tip! I only fill a few at a time, so storage really isn't an issue for me, but this is definitely something to try!

    I'm so glad you shared at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you change the bobbin color on your embroidery machine? I just use a white bobbin. Maybe it's different since yours is a combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I embroider I usually, I usually use white or maybe black polyester cotton blend (traditional sewing thread.) When I make clothes or quilts, I match threads.

      Delete
  11. Your bobbin storage is wonderful. I have actually had the pin split or fray the thread on the spool and of course didn't know it until sewing and got to that issue spot. Now I use my golf tees. Thank you for sharing your tips. Creative Bobbin Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm over from SMW. I love this idea and will be trying it out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! I just dropped everything and organized my bobbins!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great way to organize all the thread. Thank you for linking up and sharing @ Monday Handmade Linkup Party. Have a wonderful day, Joy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a little round rubbery "wheel" and the bobbins sit all around in it. Love the idea of storing the bobbin with the right color. Very cool. Love the colorful threads, too. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. I use the pedicure toe separators. They work great and keep the bobbin thread from unraveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is a great idea to use for quilting bobbins. This method saves me time matching a bobbin to a thread, especially when there are so many shades and kinds.

      Delete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.